November 2022 SMART Goal Project

SUMMARY

Role

Music Production/Keyboard

Intention (SMART Goal)

By November 18th, as part of School of Rock, I will follow this tutorial video and will have created a complete draft of a song

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Aphex Twin

Training Source(s)

I’ve had this song on repeat since it came out as a single and I wanted to make a song with the same structure. In a nutshell it’s basically “ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOA” or something. There’s a relatively mellow section at the beginning and then they jam for like 6 minutes and then go back to the relatively mellow section again at the very end. I think that’s awesome. I wanted to do that in my own style.

SMART Goal Schedule

I listen to my song several times a day to see if there’s any new ideas I have or any details that can be touched up and it continuously gets updated pretty much until release. Even then, I usually think of something I could’ve done differently afterward but, it gets to a point where my new ideas get so minuscule and infrequent that I’m content and proud of the current state it’s in and if I slightly change something later, all the better.

PRODUCTION

SMART Goal Starting Point Evidence

SMART Goal Ending Point Evidence

Current Version (10 Minutes)

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

There were definitely scrapped melodies and a lot of synths I ended up changing throughout the whole process. Certain sounds or sections just didn’t sound good enough to me sometimes.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

It was surprisingly easy to make a continuous Jam like that. I just needed to find a time where I felt inspired, sit down, get comfy, and let ideas flow. I do plan to record lyrics for it at some point, including a feature from my friend, Eli Utter. After that I plan to have it be the final song on my next album which I’ve been working on for quite some time now. I’m so excited!

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

Almost every little hook/melody I came up with for the main middle 6 minute jam section were almost entirely on black notes with few exceptions. I though it made the song feel more cohesive, but it also made it easier for me to just flow better with production ideas.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

It’s nice to have a dedicated time of day to just sit down and improve my musical skills. When I’m at home I don’t think of it or feel inspired too often. Having a class each day where I can actually just do that is very helpful.

Reactions to the Final Version

Many people in my class were impressed with my song. Most mentioned that they enjoyed the layer, transitions, and uniqueness for each part. A few people also complimented my mixing which I have certainly become better at and more proud of over time.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I’m so happy with how this turned out! It’s everything I’d hoped for and I don’t even have the lyrics recorded yet.

Grammar and Spelling

Edublogs

Editor

BA